Close  

Rafael Nadal out of Shanghai Masters with wrist injury

/ 03:16 PM October 04, 2019

Team Europe’s Rafael Nadal reacts after winning a game against to Team world’s Milos Raonic during their single tennis match at the Laver Cup tennis event in Geneva on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019. (Martial Trezzini/Keystone via AP)

Rafael Nadal pulled out of next week’s Shanghai Masters on Friday saying he had failed to recover from a wrist injury.

Spain’s world number two also withdrew from last month’s Laver Cup.

ADVERTISEMENT

It is the second year in a row that the 19-time Grand Slam champion will have failed to appear in Shanghai.

“As you all probably know, I had an inflammation on my left wrist during the Laver Cup and I haven’t had the time to recover and practice to be ready for this amazing event,” the 33-year-old said in a statement.

FEATURED STORIES

“I hope to be back in Shanghai for the 2020 tournament.”

Tournament director Michael Luevano said: “We will obviously miss not having Rafa here at the Shanghai Masters. He has been an incredible supporter of the tournament and of tennis in China.

“Also, on a personal note, as well as speaking for the entire family at the Shanghai Masters, we wish Rafa and his fiance Maria Francisca all the very best for their upcoming wedding.”

Reigning US Open champion Nadal is set to tie the knot on October 19.

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Grand Slam, Laver Cup, Rafael Nadal, Shanghai Masters, Tennis
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.