Kai Sotto won’t suit up for Mighty Sports in Dubai tilt
MANILA, Philippines–Kai Sotto, Philippines’ towering NBA hopeful, will not be seeing action for Mighty Sports Philippines in Dubai, the team announced Tuesday.
“Kai has just informed the team of his decision not to join the tournament due to unresolved logistical and scheduling issues on his part,” the club said in a statement.
Mighty Sports Philippines is due to fly to UAE on Jan. 22 for the 31st Dubai International Championships which unfurls the next day at Shabab Al Ahli Sports Club.
Despite Sotto’s absence, coach Charles Tiu assured that the squad remains a formidable force in the tournament long dominated by Middle Eastern clubs.
“[D]espite the absence of Kai, our Team is still complete with a formidable line-up of young, athletic, very talented and inspired amateur players like Thirdy Ravena, Dave Ildefonso, and Juan Gomez de Liaño,” said Tiu in the statement.
“[We are also] ably reinforced and strengthened by the likes of towering, confident, experienced and spirited players like Andray Blatche, Renaldo Balkman and McKenzie Moore,” he added.
The development came a day after the tapping of 2019 PBA Rookie Draft No. 1 pick Isaac Go.
“This was beyond (Mighty’s) control and this sudden change of circumstances with Kai’s non-inclusion will not affect its chances in the Championships as the team is still equally competitive.”
Mighty Sports, which finished third last year, plunges into action on Jan. 23 when it plays UAE’s national team.
The Filipinos are joined in Group B play by Tunisia’s Rades, of Syria’s Al-Ittihad, and Lebanon’s Beirut Club.