outbrain
Close  

COVID-19 positive Marcus Smart warns young to take it seriously

/ 03:27 PM March 21, 2020
marcus smart

(FILES) In this file photo Marcus Smart #36 of the Boston Celtics directs his team during the second half of the game against the Houston Rockets at TD Garden on February 29, 2020 in Boston, Massachusetts. (Photo by Maddie Meyer / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / AFP)

Boston Celtics star Marcus Smart said he has the new coronavirus and urged young people to take the threat seriously and practice social distancing.

Smart tested positive Thursday but said he was not showing any of the symptoms.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I feel great. I feel fine. I feel like I can go play a game right now,” the 26-year-old from Texas told CNN Friday.

But he had a warning for young Americans like those shown partying on Florida beaches undeterred by the threat of COVID-19.

FEATURED STORIES

“I advise my generation, I am 26, to take it seriously,” Smart said. “Be alert. Take precautions. By protecting yourself, you protect others.

“That’s the key. People are not showing symptoms so it is hard for anyone to know they have the virus. But being around a group of people, friends, family and not isolating themselves, you are a carrier. You can spread the virus around without knowing.”

On Twitter he also stressed that the younger generation must self-distance.

“This is not a joke. Not doing so is selfish. Together we can beat this, but we must beat it together by being apart for a short while. Much love!!,” he tweeted.

At least 14 NBA team members have so far tested positive for COVID-19, including Brooklyn Nets Kevin Durant and Utah Jazz’s Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell.

On Wednesday, commissioner Adam Silver said NBA players should be considered “super spreaders” of the disease.

Silver’s comments came amid criticism that wealthy athletes were getting tested for the virus ahead of critically ill patients in US hospitals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Smart said he was tested on Saturday and got the results five days later.

“I found out yesterday evening,” he said. “I was like, Oh wow! It makes you alert to what is going on.”

Smart told CNN he was not worried about his symptoms getting worse.

“I talked to my doctors and they just told me that I have not experienced symptoms yet so I should be on the last curve of the ball.

“I am just ready to get this behind and move on.”

In 53 games in 2019-20, Smart is averaging 4.8 assists and 3.8 rebounds per contest.

Smart is a first-round pick of the Celtics in the 2014 NBA draft.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Basketball, coronavirus, COVID-19, COVID-19 pandemic, Marcus Smart, NBA, ncov update
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.