Paras plans to raise bail money for Cebu 7
University of the Philippines (UP) star Kobe Paras, who earlier lent his voice to a sociopolitical campaign, said he will raise funds to free seven students who were nabbed in the wake of a protest near the UP campus in Cebu on Friday morning.
His teammate with the Maroons, Ricci Rivero, will also pitch in, according to Renan Dalisay, president of the NoWhere To Go But UP Foundation.
“I saw the news in Cebu about my fellow Isko and Iskas. To all my people there who got arrested, thank you for standing up for what is right,” he wrote on a Twitter post later in the afternoon.
“To all my Isko and Iskas in Cebu & everywhere else, stay strong, stay safe, and stand ten toes down. We will raise money to bail those affected!”
“They reached out, asking how they can help [the] arrested students,” Dalisay, told the Inquirer. “Others like Javi (Gomez de Liaño), Paul (Desiderio) and Jun (Manzo) also signified their support for the initiative.”
Paras, University of Santo Tomas star CJ Cansino, former Ateneo gunner Thirdy Ravena and NU Lady Bulldogs standout Jack Animam had earlier spoken out against the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 which was passed on Wednesday night. The piece of legislation has sparked fears that the state would weaponize it to silence dissent.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.