PBA chief to meet with players ahead of possible return to practice
MANILA, Philippines — PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial said a June 23 meeting has been set with representatives of all 12 teams to discuss the league’s guidelines ahead of a possible resumption of group practices.
Marcial hopes to hear from two representatives from each team during the meeting where the league’s safety and health measures during the coronavirus pandemic will also be tackled.
“We’re going to call for a dialogue and we’ll reach out to the players,” said Marcial in Filipino in a story on the PBA website. “We’re going to get their consensus and opinion on the things that they think we should do.”
“At the same time, I’m also going to explain the protocols if PBA teams finally get permission to practice.”
Earlier this week, the PBA and its Board of Governors took a crucial step in the league’s efforts to resume its season after submitting health and safety guidelines to the Inter-Agency Task Force for Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases.
The PBA hopes that the guidelines submitted will be enough to finally get the go-signal from the government to allow its teams to train.
The league has been on hiatus since March 11 four days before the government placed the country under lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Last Monday, Metro Manila has shifted into a more relaxed general community quarantine (GCQ) where non-contact indoor and outdoor sports activities such as biking, golf, skateboarding, badminton, equestrian are allowed.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.