Close  

Casimero wants to go home, says Inoue scared to fight him

By: - Reporter / @MarkGiongcoINQ
/ 03:17 PM June 27, 2020

FILE PHOTO – Johnriel Casimero—MARK GIONGCO/INQUIRER.NET

MANILA, Philippines — It’s been four months since John Riel Casimero left for the US to train for his title unification showdown with Naoya Inoue.

But with the bout postponed and a new date yet to be announced, a homesick Casimero thinks it’s best for him to continue waiting and his training at home with his family.

ADVERTISEMENT

Casimero let his frustrations out on social media Friday.

“Extend nanaman Bob arum or takot na kayo LUMABAN (Another extension Bob Arum or you’re just scared to fight)?” the WBO bantamweight champion, who is in Las Vegas, posted on Facebook.

FEATURED STORIES

“I fight your boxer somewhere anywhere September or October okey. but now I’m back to the Philippines I miss my special someone princess yuri my baby,” he added.

extend nanaman Bob arum or takot na kayo LUMABAN i fight your boxer somewhere anywhere September or October okey.but now I'm back to the Philippines I miss my special someone princess yuri my baby…

Posted by John Riel Reponte Casimero on Thursday, June 25, 2020

The Ormoc native also took a swipe at Top Rank chief Bob Arum and his ward Inoue on Twitter.

“Uncle Bob, another extension or your fighter are (sic) just scared?” Casimero tweeted Friday.

The 30-year-old Casimero (29-4, 20 KOs) also went live on YouTube Saturday and stressed he is willing to fight Inoue (19-0, 16 KOs) even in his hometown of Japan.

“Yan talaga magyayari diyan. Kung gusto talaga nila na doon talaga lalaban sa Japan ganon na talaga gagawin natin. Kahit saan. Sanay naman tayo kung dadayo tayo, diyan tayo malakas.”

(I believe that’s what’s going to happen. If they want the fight to happen in Japan, that’s what we’re going to do. We can fight anywhere. We’re already used to that.)

Last week, Arum had reportedly said that Inoue, the reigning IBF and WBA (Super) champion, is expected to be in the US in September or October and nothing definite was laid out.

The much-awaited Casimero-Inoue clash, shelved by the coronavirus pandemic, was supposed to take place on April 25 in Las Vegas.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: bantamweight, Boxing, coronavirus, COVID-19, John Riel Casimero, Naoya Inoue, pandemic, Sports, Top Rank
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.