Tough new rival dares Casimero
WBO bantamweight champion John Riel Casimero may have to end his boring overextended wait for a three-title unification showdown with celebrated Japanese star Naoya Inoue, known as The Monster.A tough new rival has stepped up to challenge Casimero, earlier reported planning to pack up and leave Las Vegas for home in Ormoc City.
His name is Jason Moloney, 29, an Australian with an astounding record of 21-1, 18 KOs, and ranked in the top four of all world boxing bodies.
————————–“I would absolutely love a fight with Casimero,” Moloney, 29, declared.
He called out from home, to where he has returned after scoring a win in the boxing in the bubble comeback series promoted by Top Rank Inc. in Las Vegas.
“I have a lot of respect for him. It would be an incredible fight,” Moloney added.
Actually, Moloney was on top of the list of three fighters presented to Casimero as alternate choices when the explosive Filipino road warrior started to get restless waiting for Inoue.————————–So far, there has been no word from the Inoue camp.
Bob Arum, after pushing hard for the Inoue-Casimero unification clash, has since kept mum.
There was no clear reason from Arum. But as stated by roving international sports correspondent Homer Sayson: “Top Rank, in business of making fights and money, would rather stage such a lucrative showdown at a more convenient time when gate receipts are in the equation.”
————————–The anticipated showdown promises to be a big draw.
But with boxing still waiting to be allowed at least limited attendance, Arum had said he could expect for a band of Japanese high rollers—from 2000 to 2,500—to fly to Las Vegas to support Inoue.
Nothing has again been heard from Arum, while Inoue has remained in Japan.
————————–“My dream is to become a world champion. I feel 100-percent ready,” Moloney said.
He picked up a fourth straight victory and first in the United States following a seventh-round stoppage of Lawrence Baez in a June 25 bout covered live on ESPN from the MGM Grand Las Vegas Conference Center.
BoxingScene reported that with Moloney, now reunited with his family, the goal is to return to the United States for his next fight, which he hoped would be a second career shot at a world title.
His lone defeat came October 2018 in a split decision loss to then unbeaten world 118-pound ruler Emmanuel Rodriguez.Nothing sure if Casimero would bother to respond. INQ
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.