Close  

Madrid Open tennis canceled because of virus spike in Spain

/ 03:11 PM August 05, 2020
madrid open

FILE – In this Saturday, May 11, 2019, file photo, Rafael Nadal, of Spain, and Stefanos Tsitsipas, of Greece, play the Madrid Open tennis men’s semifinal match at the Caja Magica (Magic Box) in Madrid, Spain.  (AP Photo/Bernat Armangue, File)

MADRID-— The Madrid Open in September was canceled on Tuesday because of a new spike in coronavirus cases in Spain.

The joint men’s and women’s tournament was originally scheduled in May, but moved when Spain became a hotbed for the virus. Its new slot in September allowed it again to be a major lead-in event for the rescheduled French Open at the end of that month.

ADVERTISEMENT

But organizers last weekend were advised by local authorities not to stage the tournament due to the rise in COVID-19 cases.

“Following the strong recommendation of the local health authorities, and having monitored the situation for months, the organizers of the Mutua Madrid Open have no choice but to cancel the tournament due to the complex situation that COVID-19 continues to generate in every regard,” organizers said in a statement.

FEATURED STORIES

“After a spike in COVID-19 cases, the community of Madrid announced a few days ago a number of new measures to control the virus’ spread, including a directive that social gatherings are to be reduced to 10 people, both in public and private meetings, further reducing the feasibility of operating the tournament.”

Spain was one of the hardest-hit countries by the coronavirus. The pandemic had been under control until the recent spikes in cases across the country.

“We have given our all to stage the tournament,” Madrid Open tournament director Feliciano López said. “The continued instability is still too great to hold a tournament like this in complete safety.”

The second edition of the revamped Davis Cup, set to be played again in Madrid this year, had already been canceled as promoters didn’t want the event to go on without fans.

The Madrid Open was to mark the start of the European clay season, after the U.S. Open.

Tour-level tennis resumed only this week after a five-month break at the Palermo Ladies Open in Italy.

The ATP and WTA said they were assessing their provisional tour calendars and will update soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We share in the disappointment that the Mutua Madrid Open will not be able to take place this year,” ATP chairman Andrea Gaudenzi said. “The circumstances concerning COVID-19 are continually evolving and we continue to take guidance from local authorities in our decision-making.”

Last year’s Madrid Open was won by Novak Djokovic and Kiki Bertens.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Coronavirus Pandemic, COVID-19, Grand Slam, madrid open, Sports, Tennis
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.