Close  

‘Slim to none’: Nick Kyrgios unlikely for French Open

/ 07:25 PM August 06, 2020
Nick Kyrgios

FILE – Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios celebrates his victory after beating Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal during their Mexico ATP 500 Open men’s single tennis match in Acapulco, Guerrero state, Mexico on February 27, 2019. (Photo by PEDRO PARDO / AFP)

Nick Kyrgios dropped a huge hint Thursday that he will skip the French Open, saying the chances of him traveling to Europe this year were “slim to none.”

The opinionated Australian last week pulled out of the upcoming US Open in New York due to the coronavirus pandemic, with world number two Rafael Nadal the following suit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Kyrgios, ranked just 40 but a big drawcard, said he wasn’t surprised by the Spaniard’s decision, noting that the clay court king was likely “eyeing the French Open” in late September.

“And if I was to play I’d probably definitely rather go to Europe (than America) at this time of year for sure with everything going on,” he added to Channel Nine television from his Canberra base.

FEATURED STORIES

But Kyrgios suggested that was also unlikely, casting serious doubt over his presence at Roland Garros.

“It’s a very slim chance I’ll play in Europe. Almost slim to none to be honest,” he said.

“I’m going to use this (time) to stay home, train, be with my family, be with my friends and I’m just going to act responsibly, and wait till I think there’s better circumstances to play.”

Kyrgios also cast doubt on next year’s Australian Open, scheduled for January, as host city Melbourne battles a major outbreak that has triggered a stay-at-home lockdown and curfew.

“I’m not too sure the Australian Open will be going ahead as it did at the start of the year with the pandemic in Melbourne,” he said.

“It’s sad times in Melbourne so I’m not too sure if the Australian Open will go on.”

Kyrgios has been vocal in his criticism of some other players during the pandemic, waging a social media battle with top names who played at Novak Djokovic’s ill-fated Adria Tour exhibition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Djokovic, Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki all tested positive for the COVID-19 illness after the event, where social distancing was minimal and some players went nightclubbing.

The Serbian world number one, Austrian Dominic Thiem, Coric and Alexander Zverev have all been in Kyrgios’s firing line and he lobbed another missile, without naming any players, on Thursday.

“Their behavior throughout this time, I don’t think has been great at all. Especially coming from some of our leaders of the sport,” Kyrgios said.

“On top of our game they’re supposed to be setting an example for the rest of the tour, and them coming back at me with behavior that I’ve done on court, I mean it just shows their intellectual level to be honest.

“Putting lives at risk, it’s not really comparable.”

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: French Open, Grand Slam, Nick Kyrgios, Roland Garros, Tennis
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.