Abueva shows good progress but needs to complete ‘process’ before return—Marcial
MANILA, Philippines — Things are looking up for Calvin Abueva and his attempt to get reinstated in the PBA following his indefinite suspension last season.
After finally completing his requirements set by the PBA, league commissioner Willie Marcial said he met with the embattled Phoenix Fuel Masters forward and cited his progress.
“Nagusap na kami ni Calvin last Thursday. Magkausap kami, nagkamustahan maganda yung kwentuhan,” Marcial said Tuesday during the PSA Forum webcast.
(Calvin and I met last Thursday. Our talk went well.)
The 32-year-old Abueva, whose unsportsmanlike actions had him banned, recently bared that he has already finished his requirements, which include sessions with a psychologist and community service.
But as per Marcial, Abueva still needs to complete a “process” before he could possibly be allowed to return.
“Sinasabi ko sa kanya Calvin may proseso pa na gagawin. Ang maganda dito nagkausap kami, naintindihan niya ako, naintindihan ko siya,” said Marcial, who refused to reveal more about that process.
(I told him, Calvin, there is a process that still needs to be done. But the good thing is that we got to talk and we understood each other.)
But as far as the status of Abueva, who has been suspended since June of last year, is concerned, Marcial is liking what he’s seeing.
“Sakin maganda. May improvement si Calvin.”
(For me, he’s doing good. Calvin is showing improvement.)
Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.