Close  

Playing it safe, Batang Pier not reactivating Bolick for reboot

/ 05:00 AM September 26, 2020

Robert Bolick will have to wait a little longer before unveiling his high-wire act in the PBA again. —AUGUST DELA CRUZ

Robert Bolick, one of scintillating rookies of the PBA last season, won’t be seeing action in the league’s reboot in Clark next month.

The spitfire guard will be missing the compressed Philippine Cup even after he has rejoined the team’s practices, the Inquirer learned on Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We don’t want to take the risk when it comes to Robert,” team manager Bonnie Tan told the Inquirer over the phone.

“Upon the recommendation of Dr. [Raul] Canlas he’ll be rehabilitating more so that he could be better for the next conference,” he added.

FEATURED STORIES

Tan said Bolick has since been cleared to join conditioning sessions and even light workouts. But sending the 25-year-old scorer out of powerhouse San Beda into the extraordinary tournament might throw a monkey wrench in the team’s plans for the youngster.

“He might get tempted to suit up when he’s there,” Tan said with a chuckle.

“Better to not include him. Mentally, this would make him ready for [a] January [return].”

Bolick tore his knee ligament last October, putting sudden stop to what had been a promising year for the youngster.

Bolick thus becomes the second major star hoping to return from an injury only to be stricken off the bubble roster by his squad.

San Miguel Beer coach Leo Austria had also announced he was shelving six-time MVP winner June Mar Fajardo, who is recovering from a broken leg.

Bradwyn Guinto, Jonathan Grey and Kevin Ferrer, three Batang Pier who have been earlier sidelined by injuries, will be joining Pido Jarencio’s in the resumption of the all-Filipino set on Oct. 11 at multiple sites in Clark Freeport Zone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile, Phoenix Super LPG is still hoping to get the go signal to field Calvin Abueva, who has served 15 months of an indefinite suspension.

PBA teams are expected to enter the bubble environment by Sept. 28 and 29 and begin full scrimmages after the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases’ issuance of a provisional clearance on Thursday.

Subscribe to Inquirer Sports Newsletter
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Northport Batang Pier, PBA, robert bolick
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.