Abueva still not done with requirements for return—PBA chief
MANILA, Philippines — PBA commissioner Willie Marcial said suspended Phoenix forward Calvin Abueva is still in the process of completing his requirements for possible reinstatement into the league.
Abueva has been suspended indefinitely since June of last year and there has been a lot of clamor from fans to let the embattled star play.
“I just talked to Calvin and he’s still finishing his requirements. He’s not yet done with his requirements,” Marcial said in Filipino Tuesday during a press conference.
“Like I said, it’s for the good of Calvin, the good of the PBA and the good of everyone. I apologize if you’re mad at me for it but it’s for the good of everyone,” he added.
When asked if there’s still a chance for Abueva to be a late entry inside the bubble restart in Clark, Pampanga, Marcial refused to give a definite response.
“Let’s see. I’m sorry I don’t want to answer that because there are still some things left to be done. It’s hard to say and I don’t want to commit. He can or cannot [make the bubble]. So sorry, I just don’t want to make any commitments.”
Among the requirements set by the PBA for Abueva were sessions with psychologists, community service and drug test.
Abueva has been a vital part of Phoenix, which struggled mightily in the last two conferences due to his absence.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.