PBA Board scraps deadline for bubble latecomers
MANILA, Philippines — The PBA Board of Governors have decided to do away with the initial October 10 deadline set for latecomers to the bubble in Clark, Pampanga.
League deputy commissioner Eric Castro on Tuesday said the Board agreed upon a rule where any member of the official 25-man lineup, who has yet to arrive at Mimosa, can enter anytime.
“The Board of Governors recently approved a new rule that there won’t be any deadline set for all latecomers,” Castro said in Filipino during the PSA Forum webcast.
“So [it’s] open that players or any member included in the 25-man lineup even if the [season] is ongoing can enter,” he added. “What is really prohibited is re-entry. Once you get out, you cannot enter again.”
Barangay Ginebra stars LA Tenorio and Japeth Aguilar are among those still outside the bubble.
“I believe LA will be entering tomorrow (Wednesday). I think they (Tenorio and Aguilar) are the last two players who will enter,” Castro said.
Tenorio reportedly attended to a “personal matter” that’s why he wasn’t able to join the Gin Kings’ trip to the bubble last week. His wife recently gave birth to their first daughter.
The 36-year-old point guard was also reported to have undergone a minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery last week.
The Philippine Cup resumes on Sunday with Ginebra taking on NLEX in the main game at 6:45 p.m. at Angeles University Foundation gym, which is 20 to 30 minutes away from Quest Hotel where the players are housed.
TNT and Alaska battle it out in the opener at 4 p.m., marking the league’s first game since it was forced to suspend play last March due to the pandemic.