Chisora offers to fight Whyte after Povetkin bout falls through
British heavyweight Dereck Chisora has said he is prepared to face Dillian Whyte for a third time barely three weeks on from his defeat by Oleksandr Usyk.
Whyte was next scheduled to be in action on November 21 but a rematch with Alexander Povetkin was scuppered when the Russian tested positive for coronavirus.
Chisora told Whyte’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, on Instagram live: “Do you want to give me that fight? I’ll take that.”
Hearn, however, has tweeted Whyte would like to face WBC world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury, who is currently without an opponent for a bout he announced would take place in London in December.
But Fury may want to avoid Whyte ahead of a heavyweight title unification clash with Anthony Joshua in another all-British contest that could take place next year.
Ukraine’s Usyk extended his undefeated record with a unanimous points win over Chisora on Saturday.
That defeat by the 2012 Olympic gold medallist seemed to end to Chisora’s hopes of a second world title shot, eight years after he lost to Vitali Klitschko.
Whyte too slipped down the pecking order after Povetkin, himself a former Olympic champion, twice came back off the canvas to knock out the British fighter in August.
Whyte has previously defeated Chisora in 2016 and 2018.
Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.