No ‘demand’ for Pacquiao-McGregor after UFC star’s shock loss
MANILA, Philippines — Sean Gibbons, president of MP (Manny Pacquiao) Promotions said, the potential crossover clash between Pacquiao and Conor McGregor has lost its luster following the Irishman’s shock knockout loss at UFC 257.
“Very unfortunate, it looked like Conor looked past Dustin and got knocked out. Maybe he had the Senator on his mind. I think the demand for the fight is not there presently,” Gibbons told The Sun.
“Conor has some business to clean up and handle in the UFC. It’s a bummer, it could have been fun for as long as it lasted.”
McGregor was stopped by Dustin Poirier in the second round of their rematch in Abu Dhabi, paving the way for a possible trilogy between the two.
Pacquiao, on the other hand, is reportedly in talks with undefeated boxing prospect Ryan Garcia for an inter-generational bout.
The 42-year-old Pacquiao, who hasn’t fought since winning the WBA (Super) welterweight title back in July 2019, is 20 years older than Garcia.
In an Instagram post on Monday, Garcia claimed he is fighting Pacquiao after coming off an impressive seventh-round stoppage of Luke Campbell earlier this month.
View this post on Instagram
McGregor, meanwhile, is still not closing the door on meeting Pacquiao in the ring.
“I always did want to focus on my MMA career but I’m also open. I’ll just see what happens. I don’t know what will happen. That Manny fight was happening. It was as good as done,” McGregor said as posted on boxingscene.com.
“I just want to get in and get back into a bounce, especially against that style of fighter, and not take those kicks. Not play with those kicks. It’s just a motherf—er to take. That’s my mind going,”
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.