PBA sets another special Draft
In sustaining its commitment to help national cause, the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) will hold a special draft for Gilas Pilipinas prospects for the second straight year as it looks at a really deep pool of talents that can truly be fixtures of the National Five for World Cup 2023.
Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) president Al Panlilio bared this development shortly after the PBA’s board meeting on Thursday afternoon.
“Definitely, we will have a Gilas draft this year just like last year,” he said in a virtual chat with scribes. “I’ve actually asked commissioner [Willie Marcial] and the [board of governors] to give us a few days to take a look at the list and revert to the PBA [with the] list of players we’re looking to add to the Gilas pool.”
Last year, five players were loaned to the Gilas program: Isaac Go, Rey Suerte, Allyn Bulanadi and twins Mike and Matt Nieto.
The SBP, however, pointed out that it has not yet decided how many players it hopes to pluck from the pool of 97 applicants seeking to join the annual proceedings set on March 14.
The PBA has also extended the deadline for the players to complete the necessary documents needed to be eligible for the Draft.
“They can submit their papers until March 5. However, we will no longer accept new applicants,” Marcial said. “And whatever previous requirements we’ve set remain unchanged.”
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.