Mayweather Tokyo exhibition postponed over virus restrictions | Inquirer Sports
Close  

Mayweather Tokyo exhibition postponed over virus restrictions

/ 04:51 PM February 05, 2021
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

FILE – Floyd Mayweather Jr. stands in the ring before Errol Spence Jr takes on Mikey Garcia in an IBF World Welterweight Championship bout at AT&T Stadium on March 16, 2019 in Arlington, Texas. Tom Pennington/Getty Images/AFP

Boxing legend Floyd Mayweather’s exhibition fight in Tokyo this month has been postponed because of coronavirus restrictions, organizers announced Friday.

Retired ex-champ Mayweather, 43, was scheduled to fight against an unnamed opponent at Tokyo Dome on February 28, but organizers pulled the plug with Japan’s borders closed to almost all foreign arrivals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Tokyo and other parts of Japan are under a virus state of emergency that is set to end on March 7, with attendance at sports events limited to 5,000 or half capacity, whichever is less.

Mayweather’s fight against YouTuber Logan Paul, which was scheduled for February 20, was also postponed last week.

FEATURED STORIES

Mayweather, who fought a Japanese kickboxer in a widely ridiculed 2018 exhibition in Japan, said he hopes the Tokyo Dome event, dubbed “Mega 2021,” can be rescheduled “within the year.”

“Japan currently has an increase in coronavirus infections, and I heard that foreigners aren’t allowed into the country,” he said in comments provided by organizers in Japanese.

“So it’s really disappointing, but there’s no way I can fight in Japan on February 28. When I’m allowed into Japan, and if Mega gets a new date and a venue, and if they give me an opponent, I can be ready to fight any time.”

Organizers had said the event would feature “champion-class” fighters, including Mayweather, but gave no further details, including on the rules for the fights.

“I’m praying that we can beat the coronavirus and go back to a world that’s crazy about sports,” said Mayweather.

A legend in the boxing world with an unbeaten 50-0 record, Mayweather was last coaxed out of retirement to fight Japanese MMA star Tenshin Nasukawa in December 2018.

Mayweather floored the Japanese fighter — less than half his age — three times in the first round before Nasukawa’s trainer rushed in to stop the fight.

Mayweather hinted online that he earned $9 million for the two-minute fight.

RELATED STORY

Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19, Floyd Mayweather, Japan
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our sports news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.