Anthony sees Batang Pier bouncing back from bubble debacle
Sean Anthony, NorthPort’s workhorse of a star, believes the team has learned its lesson during the PBA bubble and will be ready to take on all comers when the next season starts.
“I thought we were a much better team than we showed in the bubble,” Anthony told the Inquirer on Friday.
The Batang Pier were supposed to be. Pundits tagged NorthPort a dark horse going into the Philippine Cup last year. But the team wound up driving home before the playoffs as several factors weighed it down to a sorry 1-10 record.
Much of the slide was due to the injuries NorthPort had to deal with inside the bubble. Anthony, who was averaging close to a triple-double, hurt his thigh early into the tournament. Kevin Ferrer injured his right foot at one point.
And with Robert Bolick still resting his surgically repaired knee, coach Pido Jarencio had no choice but to rely heavily on Christian Standhardinger.
This year, the 35-year-old veteran feels the team is ready to compete.
“Guys are working out hard now and making sure we’ll be in shape once the new season starts,” he said.
NorthPort is also set to pick 2nd and 11th in the PBA Rookie Draft on March 14, which gives the team’s skipper more and more reason to be excited.
The Batang Pier also traded for Rain or Shine’s Sidney Onwubere and Clint Doliguez, two decent performers for the ElastoPainters during the last season.
“With (Robert) back and the new picks coming in we should be alright,” he said.
“[And] if there is another bubble, at least this time we will know what to expect and we’ll be better prepared.”
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.