PBA board approves 3-conference 3×3 tournament
MANILA, Philippines—The PBA 3X3 tournament got the green light from the PBA Board of Governors Friday, competition chairman Dickie Bachmann said.
In a big step moving forward, the approval was given less than a month after Bachmann announced that Eric Altamirano would serve as the tournament’s director.
“So far, PBA 3X3 tournament has been approved,” said Bachmann.
JUST IN: The PBA 3X3 tournament has gained approval from the PBA board, as per tournament chairman Dickie Bachmann. It will have a three-conference format per season, just like the normal PBA competition. | @BLozadaINQFEATURED STORIES
— INQUIRER Sports (@INQUIRERSports) February 26, 2021
Bachmann said that the tournament will have a three-conference format, just like the normal PBA season, and could either be played inside or outside a bubble depending on the circumstances.
If held outside a bubble, Bachmann said, the tournament will be played across five one-day legs plus one Grand Finals per conference.
There won’t be a drastic change if it would be played inside a bubble as the schedule will be condensed to three two-day legs plus one two-day Grand Finals with the competition lasting a total of 13 days.
The PBA already has a list of potential venues for the games but it’ll still need approval from the Inter Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases.
As previously reported the 12 PBA teams will have their own 3×3 squads with the possibility of four or five clubs joining.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.