Marcial not discounting idea of having fans back in PBA venues
MANILA, Philippines — Just like in the previous season, PBA games will likely remain crowd-less with the COVID-19 pandemic still at large.
PBA commissioner Willie Marcial, however, isn’t discounting the possibility of having fans back inside the venues as the planned 10-month season goes along.
“We’re not closing the door on that (having fans) but as of now, you can see what’s still happening with the pandemic so we don’t know,” Marcial said in a press conference Tuesday.
But for now, Marcial’s top priority is for the league’s April 11 opening to push through.
“First of all, I hope we will be allowed to play this April,” he said.
“And after that, who knows? We may have fans back perhaps, by the second conference.”
The PBA board has already approved a 10-month season which consists of the Philippine Cup and the Governors’ Cup for this year.
The league is planning to hold its games within the National Capital Region under a semi-bubble setup.
Last year, the PBA was reduced to just one conference with the Philippine Cup staged inside a bubble in Clark.