'We cannot survive': Tennis counts the cost of empty stands | Inquirer Sports
Close  

‘We cannot survive’: Tennis counts the cost of empty stands

/ 06:09 PM March 11, 2021
Tennis court empty

FILE PHOTO: Tennis – French Open – Roland Garros, Paris, France – September 27, 2020 Spectators and a steward wearing face masks look on during the first round match between Britain’s Johanna Konta in and Coco Gauff of the U.S. REUTERS/Christian Hartmann/File Photo

MUMBAI—Tennis has limped back to some semblance of normality after last year’s lengthy disruption due to the COVID-19 pandemic but stakeholders fear playing tournaments in front of empty stands might not be sustainable for long.

The professional circuit was shut down for five months in 2020 before tournament organizers set up biosecure bubbles for players and support staff while keeping fans away from stadiums.

ADVERTISEMENT

The disruption has been less severe in 2021 but tournaments, barring the swing in Australia in February, continue to be played in front of a handful of fans at best.

The absence of spectators has not just robbed tournaments of atmosphere and sapped the energy of players who thrive on it, but has also had a savage impact on finances.

FEATURED STORIES

ATP tournaments incurred losses of between $60 and $80 million last year, hurt by last-minute cancellations, a wipeout of ticketing revenue in absence of spectators and a 30% drop in proceeds from sponsorships.

And, with the added burden of expenditure on health protocols, has led to a reduction in prize money down to 50% of levels before the pandemic.

“With all the estimates that we have done, we think we can sustain this year,” ATP Chairman Andrea Gaudenzi told Reuters.

Gaudenzi said sponsorship revenue plunged about 30% on average since the start of the pandemic, with the Masters 1000 events — the level below the Grand Slams — relying on ticket sales for 45% of their proceeds.

Herwig Straka, one of three members of the ATP board representing tournament owners, said the call on whether to continue running events without fans could come down to a business decision.

“It’s about finding the right balance between enough prize money for players, especially for lower-ranked players to survive, and also for tournaments to continue,” Straka said.

“And obviously for the smaller tournaments this challenge is higher. So not only as a business but also as a sport we definitely need spectators to return sooner than later … we cannot survive without having spectators.”

ADVERTISEMENT

‘REQUIRED AND APPROPRIATE’

The men’s governing body will spend up to $5.2 million — primarily taken from the bonus pool for the top 12 eligible players at the end of season — to boost prize money at its events until Wimbledon.

The WTA had to fund the entire prize money of $565,530 for its season opener in Abu Dhabi from its own funds.

“The reduction in prize money levels that are in place for 2021 is not something anyone wants to see,” WTA CEO Steve Simon told Reuters.

“However, with the compromised revenue streams from ticketing and sponsorship being dealt with, the reductions are required and appropriate.”

Before her early exit from this week’s WTA 1000 event in Dubai, world number five Elina Svitolina said reduced purses could potentially have an impact on motivation.

Americans John Isner and Reilly Opelka were less diplomatic when they hit out at ATP management recently for not taking salary cuts while players effectively were.

Gaudenzi said that even in the worst case scenario, the ATP was still tracking to deliver 2021 prize money levels of about $180 million, 23% less than 2019.

“It’s still not a terrible result, considering the challenges we face,” the Italian said, adding that most tournaments would be happy to break even in 2021.

With vaccines against the virus starting to roll out, tennis bosses were hopeful that restrictions on spectators would start to be relaxed.

“A no-crowd formula that extended into the future would require a restructuring of how sports in general would proceed,” said WTA’s Simon.

“We are beginning to see a pathway for fans to begin returning at restricted levels as 2021 progresses and hopefully a significant move towards full stadiums in 2022.”

RELATED STORIES

Melbourne enters new lockdown, barring Australian Open crowds

French Open braced for crowd limit of 1,000 due to COVID-19 

When tennis returns: No fans, less prize money, rustiness

Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19, Grand Slam, Tennis
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our sports news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.