Meralco, TNT sign touted Fil-Ams; Family says Jawo not COVID-stricken
Two highly touted Filipino-Americans who were deemed ineligible for the Rookie Draft will be able to showcase their skills in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) after all—in the professional league’s 3×3 tournament, that is.
Meralco secured the services of Filipino-American guard Jason Brickman, while TNT signed athletic wing Jeremiah Gray in for the PBA’s inaugural 3×3 tournament, set sometime after the league opens its 46th season.
Two other highly touted prospects who missed the draft because of a failure to produce necessary citizenship documents, Brandon Ganuelas-Rosser and Tyrus Hill, are expected to be signed by other teams as well for the inaugural streetball tournament.
“We’re looking forward to seeing (Brickman’s) brand of basketball up close. He’s a veteran playmaker who’s proven himself internationally and we’re excited to have him on board,” Bolts team manager Paolo Trillo said in a statement.
Meanwhile, the family of Robert “Sonny” Jaworski Sr. on Friday allayed fears that the iconic cager was suffering from COVID-19. Jaworski’s family, however, admitted that the former senator, who turned 75 last March 8, was coming off a bout with pneumonia last year and is still working his way back to full recovery.
“Due to a nonlife-threatening blood abnormality that was discovered by his doctors in 2016, former Senator Jaworski has experienced difficulty in regaining his strength, weight, and normal well-being,” a portion of the family’s statement read. “Despite this, he is making good progress and is slowly moving forward.”