New Zealand to skip Paralympic opening ceremony over virus fears | Inquirer Sports

New Zealand to skip Paralympic opening ceremony over virus fears

/ 04:44 PM August 24, 2021
The New Zealand delegation parades during the opening ceremony of the Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Paralympic Games at the Pyeongchang Stadium on March 9, 2018.

FILE — The New Zealand delegation parades during the opening ceremony of the Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Paralympic Games at the Pyeongchang Stadium on March 9, 2018. (Photo by Ed JONES / AFP)

New Zealand’s Paralympic team said it will not attend Tuesday’s opening ceremony in Tokyo over coronavirus safety fears, as infections surge in the Japanese capital.

Organizers have reported 161 COVID-19 cases linked to the Paralympics so far, mostly among staff and contractors living in Japan but also including six athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Paralympics New Zealand said its athletes would not take part in the opening ceremony, where two flagbearers usually lead teammates into the Olympic Stadium.

“Our team will not be attending as we continue our commitment to our COVID-19 Operating Principles and Guidelines, aimed at keeping our team as safe as possible,” it said in a statement.

FEATURED STORIES

Instead of appointing flagbearers, two athletes will be given symbolic “leadership roles.”

Throughout the pandemic, New Zealand has pursued a “COVID zero” elimination strategy, resulting in just 26 deaths in a population of five million.

But a national lockdown is currently in place to curb the spread of the highly transmissible Delta variant, after a virus cluster broke a six-month run of no local cases.

New Zealand is the only one of the 162 Paralympic delegations that has confirmed it will skip the evening ceremony, International Paralympic Committee spokesman Craig Spence told reporters on Tuesday.

“We’ve got to respect the decision,” he said, adding that team chief Fiona Allan had told him that despite strict virus countermeasures, they wanted to be “super safe.”

There are 32 Paralympians on the New Zealand team, according to Tokyo 2020.

Some other countries and territories have reduced the number of representatives at the ceremony for various reasons including COVID-19 and heat concerns, Spence said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We appreciate that the march is going to be a little shorter, there’s going to be less athletes compared to normal Games.

“That’s a shame, but we respect the decision and actually, it probably speeds up the ceremony.”

Japan’s virus situation has worsened dramatically in the weeks since the July 23 Olympic opening ceremony, with the country recording more than 25,000 daily infections several times in the past week.

RELATED STORIES

Tokyo Paralympics to open as Japan battles virus surge

With high hopes, Filipino Paralympians get settled in Tokyo

First virus case reported in Paralympic Village

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: New Zealand, Tokyo Paralympics
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.