Taekwondo jin Ganapin positive for COVID-19, out of Tokyo Paralympics
Philippine Paralympic Committee president Michael Barredo announced Thursday that para taekwondo jin Allain Ganapin will have to skip his competition in the men’s K44 -75kg category on Friday after testing positive for COVID-19.
Ganapin is still in Manila and will not be able to make the trip to Tokyo for the Paralympic Games.
“We are deeply saddened to announce that our para taekwondo jin Allain Ganapin, the first Filipino para athlete to secure a slot for para taekwondo in the Tokyo Paralympics, tested positive for COVID-19,’’ said Barredo in a statement.
“Consequently, he would not be able to leave for Japan due to quarantine restrictions,’’ added Barredo.
Ganapin was the third Filipino para athlete who got sidelined by the virus out of the six Filipino Paralympic qualifiers.
“Allain is upset at missing the opportunity, but prays that this challenge will strengthen his resolve in his later competitions,’’ said Barredo.
Powerlifter Achele Guion likewise wasn’t allowed to leave Manila last week after yielding an affirmative test result while discus thrower Jeanette Aceveda tested positive and missed her event on Tuesday after undergoing the mandatory daily saliva antigen at the Tokyo Paralympic Village.
“The present pandemic has created so many obstacles for our para athletes. The virus has been unforgiving and denied them the chance to bring glory and honor to the Philippines,’’ said Barredo.
“However, this will not affect their strong resolve and will continue to push forward in the pursuit of their dreams,’’ he added.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.