De La Hoya scraps comeback fight after contracting COVID-19 | Inquirer Sports
Close  

De La Hoya scraps comeback fight after contracting COVID-19

/ 05:11 AM September 04, 2021
Boxing promoter and former boxer Oscar De La Hoya

Oscar De La Hoya (REUTERS / file photo)

LOS ANGELES  – Former boxing great Oscar De La Hoya said Friday he has been hospitalised after contracting Covid-19, forcing cancellation of his one-off comeback bout against Vitor Belfort next week.

De La Hoya, 48, said in a video posted on Twitter that he had been admitted to hospital for treatment despite being fully vaccinated.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Wanted you to hear directly from me that despite being fully vaccinated, I have contracted Covid and am not going to be able to fight next weekend,” De La Hoya said.

“Preparing for this comeback has been everything to me over the last months, & I want to thank everyone for their tremendous support.”

FEATURED STORIES

De La Hoya indicated he hoped to reschedule his return to the ring for later this year.

“I am currently in the hospital getting treatment and am confident I will be back in the ring before the year is up,” he said.

De La Hoya last fought in 2008, when he was subjected to a beating by Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas over eight one-sided rounds.

However in June this year, De La Hoya announced a fully-sanctioned comeback fight against Brazilian mixed martial arts fighter Belfort to take place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

It was not clear Friday if Belfort would seek an alternative opponent after De La Hoya’s withdrawal.

One report said organisers were targeting former heavyweight world champion Evander Holyfield as a possible replacement. Holyfield, 58, has not fought since 2011.

gsg

Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Boxing, Comeback, COVID-19, Oscar Dela Hoya
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our sports news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.