FIA will investigate latest Hamilton-Verstappen collision | Inquirer Sports
Close  

FIA will investigate latest Hamilton-Verstappen collision

/ 08:45 PM September 13, 2021
Max Verstappen Italian Grand Prix

Formula One F1 – Italian Grand Prix – Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Monza, Italy – September 12, 2021 Red Bull’s Max Verstappen after crashing out of the race with Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton REUTERS/Jennifer Lorenzini

Formula One’s governing body will investigate Sunday’s Italian Grand Prix crash between title contenders Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton because it was ‘unusual’, according to race director Michael Masi.

The Australian said that although the collision was relatively low-speed, the FIA’s safety experts would still take a look.

ADVERTISEMENT

The crash had Verstappen’s Red Bull lift up off a curb and land on Hamilton’s Mercedes with the inside of a rear wheel hitting the seven-time world champion’s helmet through the protective halo.

“Incidents that are different, so it’s not necessarily high G impacts or anything like that, but are unusual, we do look at,” said Masi.

FEATURED STORIES

“Our safety department does look at them in detail, investigate and see what we can learn and what we can improve for the future. That’s how we have a whole lot of the safety features that we have today and will continue to evolve into the future.

“We are already collecting all of the data, so we have all of the information and that will all go to our safety department together with any photographs and anything else we have along the way.”

The Monza stewards blamed championship leader Verstappen and handed the Dutch 23-year-old a three place grid drop for the next race in Russia.

Hamilton said it had been a shock to be hit on the head and the titanium ring had saved his life.

“I’m so, so grateful that I’m still here. I feel incredibly blessed. I feel like someone was watching over me today,” said the Briton.

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff said the halo had saved Hamilton’s life and Red Bull boss Christian Horner agreed the device, made mandatory in 2018 to considerable opposition from some drivers, had done its job.

“It was a very awkward accident and you could see Max’s car ride up the Mercedes and I think without the halo there would’ve been no protection for the weight of that wheel coming down on top of Lewis,” said Horner.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I think the halo has again demonstrated its purpose in Formula One.”

FIA president Jean Todt posted on Twitter a photograph of the Red Bull on top of the Mercedes with the comment “Glad the halo was there”.

Several F1 drivers have credited the device for saving their lives, including Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc and former Haas racer Romain Grosjean.

“I wasn’t for the halo some years ago but I think it’s the greatest thing that we brought to Formula One,” he said after the device shielded his head when his car penetrated the barriers in a fiery crash in Bahrain last year.

RELATED STORIES

Hamilton credits halo for saving his life in crash

Verstappen penalized for crash at Monza

Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: FIA, Italian Grand Prix, Lewis Hamiltion, Max Verstappen, Monza
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our sports news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.