Worst is behind me, says Roger Federer | Inquirer Sports
Close  

Worst is behind me, says Roger Federer

/ 02:53 PM September 21, 2021
Roger Federer (SUI) plays against Hubert Hurkacz (POL) in the quarter finals at All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. Mandatory Credit: Peter van den Berg-USA TODAY Sports/File Photo

FILE PHOTO: Tennis great Roger Federer. van den Berg-USA TODAY Sports

Roger Federer said his injury comeback was not yet in sight but insisted he was over the worst as the 40-year-old tennis great targets a return to the courts.

Federer had been out for more than a year with two surgeries on his right knee before getting back onto the tour this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

But he played only 13 matches, and underwent a third operation following his quarterfinal defeat at Wimbledon in July.

“I’m doing very well; the rehab is progressing step by step,” the Swiss star said at an event in Zurich with sponsors Mercedes-Benz.

FEATURED STORIES

“The worst is behind me. I’m looking forward to everything that happens to me to come.

“When you come back from an injury, every day is a better day. So it’s an exciting time.”

He said that given everything he had been through with his troublesome knee, dealing with the situation was “not a mental problem at all”.

The 20-time Grand Slam champion, now ranked ninth in the world, said he sees returning to the professional tour as a “challenge”.

Federer added he hoped to get back to fitness training and hitting balls on the tennis court as soon as possible, but accepted that “that still takes a little patience”.

He withdrew from this year’s French Open after reaching the fourth round and bowed out at Wimbledon with a tame 6-3, 7-6 (7/4), 6-0 loss to Poland’s Hubert Hurkacz.

Federer was the chief instigator of the Laver Cup, an annual team tournament between six top players from Europe and six from the rest of the world, which is now in its fourth edition.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 2021 event is being held from Friday to Sunday in Boston, but without Federer, who will be watching from a distance.

“That hurts me a lot,” he said.

“I knew that at some point I wouldn’t be able to be there, but I didn’t think it would be this year.”

Federer said he was already looking forward to 2022, when the tournament will be staged in the British capital.

“One of my goals is to really get myself into it again to come back and hopefully play in places like the O2 Arena in London,” he said.

Team Europe won the Prague 2017, Chicago 2018 and Geneva 2019 editions of the Laver Cup, while last year’s tournament fell victim to the Covid-19 pandemic.

RELATED STORIES

‘Champion of his era’ Federer is still the best–Laver

Is this the end of the road for Roger Federer? 

Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Roger Federer, Tenn
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our sports news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.