No need to ‘overdramatize’ issue: Juico says PSC already approved athletes’ financial support
The Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) has approved the request of the track and field athletes for an extension of their financial assistance up until the end of the year.
The decision, according to Philippine Athletics Track and Field Association (Patafa) president Philip Ella Juico on Friday, came even before top pole vaulter Ernest John Obiena bared that he had to shut down his competition season due to lack of funds.
Obiena last week told the Inquirer his team had to shoulder the expenses of his competitions for the month of September because government budget lasted up until end of August.“I needed to cut the season short as my budget is only until August,” Obiena said. “The meets after August were shouldered by myself and my team. Berlin (where he placed fourth) was the last one for me this season.”
But Juico clarified that they already knew PSC budget was just until August so they made a request on behalf of the track and field athletes.
The Patafa chief said the likes of pole vaulter Natalie Uy, Eric Cray and Kristina Knott—all training abroad—have also made similar requests.
“We already talked with the PSC and they agreed to the extension,” said Juico who added that there’s no need to “overdramatize” the athletes’ situation.
PSC chair Butch Ramirez also confirmed the decision to cover the athletes’ training until end of the year.
Obiena has since returned to Formia, Italy, to continue his training. Pole vault season, according to Juico, is practically over.
The 25-year-old Filipino Olympian reset the national record three times this year, only recently clearing 5.93 meters that also rewrote a decades-long new Asian yardstick.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.