'Political' Peng messages banned at Australian Open | Inquirer Sports
Close  

‘Political’ Peng messages banned at Australian Open

/ 08:30 PM January 23, 2022
Peng Shuai

FILE PHOTO: Peng Shuai of China gestures in her match against Kateryna Bondarenko of Ukraine at the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne January 18, 2011. REUTERS/Tim Wimborne/File Photo

MELBOURNE – Australian Open organizers said the safety of Peng Shuai remains their “primary concern” even as security officials at the Grand Slam forced fans to remove shirts referring to the Chinese former doubles number one.

A video posted on social media on Saturday showed security staff at Melbourne Park confiscating shirts and a banner bearing the slogan: “Where Is Peng Shuai?”

ADVERTISEMENT

Peng’s well-being became a matter of concern among the global tennis community in November when she appeared to allege that a former Chinese vice premier, Zhang Gaoli, had sexually assaulted her in the past. After that post, she was absent from public view for nearly three weeks.

Last month she said she had never accused anyone of sexually assaulting her, and that a social media post she had made had been misunderstood.

FEATURED STORIES

The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) suspended tournaments in China due to what its concerns over Peng’s safety, which the Tour says have not been alleviated by her recent public appearances.

“Under our ticket conditions of entry we don’t allow clothing, banners or signs that are commercial or political,” organizers Tennis Australia said in a statement in response to questions raised about the video.

“Peng Shuai’s safety is our primary concern. We continue to work with the WTA and global tennis community to seek more clarity on her situation and will do everything we can to ensure her wellbeing.”

Former world number one Victoria Azarenka, who is part of the WTA Players Council, said earlier this week that they were yet to hear directly from Peng.

“There hasn’t been that much development in terms of contact with Peng Shuai even though from our side we will continue to make any and all efforts to make sure that she is safe, she feels comfortable,” Azarenka said.

“Hopefully we will get to hear from her personally at some point. I think that’s the goal, the main goal right now.”

World number one Ash Barty said the situation had brought the tennis community together.

“Hopefully it’s not too long until we see her back out here,” the Australian said at Melbourne Park.

RELATED STORIES

China tennis star Peng denies that she made accusation of sexual assault

Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Australian Open, Peng Shuai
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our sports news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.