Filbasket gets GAB go for first pro season
With the Filipino Basketball League (Filbasket) finally submitting itself to Games and Amusements Board (GAB) supervision, it’s now all systems go for the fledging league’s second season set for a March 15 tipoff.
Filbasket formally signified its intent to join the growing pro sports family under the GAB after its chair, Buddy Encarnado, and president, Jai Reyes, recently visited the offices of the government regulatory body for professional sports.
“We understand that not everybody can be accommodated in the PBA. It’s good that there are new and aspiring leagues that are taking the initiative to level the playing field for other athletes,’’ said GAB Chair Baham Mitra.
Mitra and GAB Commissioner Eduard Trinidad also met with Pilipinas Super League (PSL) officials, which likewise submitted itself under the authority of the GAB.
“Let us now put aside the past and focus on how we can provide opportunities for many more players to earn a livelihood in basketball,’’ said Mitra.
Encarnado and Reyes apologized for the miscommunication and disrespect toward GAB when Filbasket conducted its inaugural tournament at Subic Bay Gymnasium in Zambales in November last year without the appropriate permit from the agency.
The PSL, meanwhile, has scheduled its opener on March 18 in Dipolog City, Zamboanga.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.