Golovkin's blockbuster Canelo trilogy at stake in Murata showdown | Inquirer Sports

Golovkin’s blockbuster Canelo trilogy at stake in Murata showdown

/ 04:44 PM April 06, 2022
Gennadiy Golovkin celebrates defeating Kamil Szeremeta in their IBF Middleweight title bout at Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino on December 18, 2020 in Hollywood, Florida.

FILE–Gennadiy Golovkin celebrates defeating Kamil Szeremeta in their IBF Middleweight title bout at Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino on December 18, 2020 in Hollywood, Florida. Cliff Hawkins/Getty Images/AFP

Middleweight great Gennady Golovkin returns to the ring for the first time in 16 months on Saturday, where victory against Japan’s Ryota Murata could set up a long-awaited third fight against Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez.

IBF champion “GGG” Golovkin (41-1-1, with 36 KOs) will face Murata (16-2), who holds the WBA version of the title, in a unification fight at Saitama, north of Tokyo.

ADVERTISEMENT

The hard-hitting Kazakh has been hailed as the biggest name to enter a ring in Japan since heavyweight champion Mike Tyson, who was knocked out in Tokyo by 40-1 underdog James “Buster” Douglas in one of boxing’s biggest upsets in 1990.

The prize at stake for Golovkin is a potential third crack at pound-for-pound king Alvarez in a blockbuster trilogy fight later this year, having pushed the Mexican all the way in two previous epic encounters.

FEATURED STORIES

If the pair, who appear to harbor genuine mutual animosity, remain unbeaten in their upcoming fights, then a September trilogy fight could smash box office and pay-per-view records.

The all-conquering Alvarez, having last year unified the four super-middleweight belts in just 11 months, will move up to light-heavyweight to challenge undefeated WBA champion Dmitry Bivol on May 7.

The veteran Golovkin, who turns 40 on Friday, has never beaten his Mexican nemesis.

Their first fight, in September 2017, saw Golovkin give an inspired performance, with many believing he had won, only for the judges to declare the bout a split draw.

The rematch eight months later was postponed after Alvarez tested positive for a banned substance.

‘Place in boxing history’

Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez exchange punches during their WBC/WBA middleweight title fight at T-Mobile Arena on September 15, 2018 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

FILE–Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez exchange punches during their WBC/WBA middleweight title fight at T-Mobile Arena on September 15, 2018 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Al Bello/Getty Images/AFP

When it eventually took place in September 2018, Alvarez battled to victory by majority decision after a pulsating contest.

Golovkin said his rivalry with Alvarez was not “the only thing that characterizes my career” in a recent interview with Bleacher Report, pointing to his 21 world title defenses — a middleweight record.

ADVERTISEMENT

“If I’m going to approach the third fight with Canelo, it’ll certainly be with different thoughts and not with the idea of righting any wrongs,” he told broadcaster DAZN, adding he was not “bothered by the results in the first two fights”.

“I’m not in boxing to prove anything to anybody.”

Having been out of action since December 2020, when he stopped Poland’s Kamil Szeremeta in the seventh round, ‘GGG’ will need to remind the world that his power and skill are undiminished when he faces 2012 Olympic gold medallist Murata.

Murata (16-2) is even more rusty — his last appearance was a successful defense of the WBA ‘regular’ world title belt against Canada’s Steven Butler in Yokohama in December 2019.

Murata was then installed as WBA ‘super’ champion in 2020, the sanctioning body’s premier belt, after Alvarez vacated the crown to move up in weight.

The 36-year-old Murata, who became a household name in Japan after winning Olympic gold, said his fight with Golovkin would decide his “place in the middleweight division and boxing history”.

“My entire amateur and professional boxing career has been a preparation for this fight against Gennady Golovkin,” he said when the fight was announced.

The bout had originally been scheduled for December last year but was postponed because of coronavirus travel restrictions.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Canelo Alvarez, Gennady Golovkin, Ryota Murata
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.