Nick Kyrgios charged with assault in late 2021 case | Inquirer Sports
Close  

Nick Kyrgios charged with assault in late 2021 case

/ 09:37 PM July 05, 2022
Australia's Nick Kyrgios

FILE PHOTO: Tennis – Wimbledon – All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain – July 4, 2022 Australia’s Nick Kyrgios reacts during his fourth round match against Brandon Nakashima of the U.S. REUTERS/Paul Childs

LONDON— Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios will appear before a Canberra court next month after being charged with assault for an incident last year, local police said on Tuesday.

A statement from Australian Capital Territory Policing did not identify Kyrgios but The Canberra Times quoted the lawyer of the former world number 13 as saying that the charge was related to a “domestic relationship”.

ADVERTISEMENT

“ACT Policing can confirm a 27-year-old Watson man is scheduled to face the ACT Magistrates court on the 2nd of August in relation to one charge of common assault following an incident in December 2021,” the police said.

Australian media said the charge was related to a complaint made by Kyrgios’s former partner Chiara Passari.

FEATURED STORIES

“It’s in the context of a domestic relationship,” Kyrgios’s barrister Jason Moffett was quoted as saying by The Canberra Times.

“The nature of the allegation is serious, and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously. Given the matter is before the court… he doesn’t have a comment at this stage, but in the fullness of time we’ll issue a media release.”

Moffett did not respond to requests for comment while an email sent to Kyrgios’s representative was not answered.

Kyrgios last month became the first athlete to join Evolve, the new sports agency co-founded by four-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka.

The 27-year-old is set to face Chile’s Cristian Garin on Wednesday in the men’s quarter-finals at Wimbledon.

The Australian has been fined a total of $14,000 during the grasscourt major for two offenses — spitting towards a fan after his first-round win and then for swearing in a fiery third-round clash with Stefanos Tsitsipas.

Wimbledon organizers the All England Club and the men’s ATP did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

In October last year, Kyrgios and his former model girlfriend Passari were moved to separate rooms in their Adelaide quarantine hotel after an argument.

RELATED STORIES

Nick Kyrgios suspended 16 weeks for ‘aggravated behavior’

I do what I want, says Kyrgios after breaking Wimbledon dress code

Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Nick Kyrgios
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our sports news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.