Fifa, Indonesian football body form taskforce after fatal stampede | Inquirer Sports

Fifa, Indonesian football body form taskforce after fatal stampede

/ 08:28 PM October 13, 2022

FILE PHOTO: People gather at the Lion Statue of Kanjuruhan Stadium as they pay their condolences for the victims of a riot and stampede following a soccer match between Arema vs Persebaya Surabaya in Malang, East Java province, Indonesia, October 4, 2022, in this photo taken by Antara Foto.

FILE PHOTO: People gather at the Lion Statue of Kanjuruhan Stadium as they pay their condolences for the victims of a riot and stampede following a football match between Arema vs Persebaya Surabaya in Malang, East Java province, Indonesia, October 4, 2022, in this photo taken by Antara Foto. Antara Foto/Zabur Karuru/ via REUTERS

JAKARTA— The Indonesian Football Association (PSSI) and world football governing body FIFA will form a joint taskforce in a bid to improve crowd control and safety measures after a deadly football stampede earlier this month, officials said on Thursday.

Indonesian authorities are under pressure to take swift steps to overhaul football safety standards after more than 130 people died during a crowd crush at a match at the Kanjuruhan stadium in East Java on Oct 1, in one of the world’s worst stadium disasters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Security experts have said the firing of tear gas by police inside the stadium, a measure prohibited by FIFA, triggered the fatal stampede.

FEATURED STORIES

“We agreed to form a taskforce, or football transformation taskforce, consisting of the government, FIFA, and experts in football, security, and stadiums,” PSSI head, Mochamad Iriawan, told reporters after a meeting with FIFA officials.

Under the plans, Indonesian police would ensure their standard operating procedures were synchronized with FIFA regulations, he said.

The joint taskforce will also include members of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) as well as the police and the ministries of sport, home affairs, health and public works.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo, popularly known as Jokowi, has said FIFA did not plan to sanction his country over the incident, but the rare intervention by the sport’s governing body comes as Indonesia is due to host the FIFA under-20 World Cup next year.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino is expected to visit Jakarta on Tuesday to meet with Jokowi, after which a joint commitment is due to be announced.

Infantino will also make a statement during a summit of leaders of the Group of 20 major economies in Bali in November about Indonesia’s readiness to host an international event, said Iriawan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Six people including police and match organizers are facing criminal charges after the stampede, with the government highlighting lax safety measures, such as locked exit doors and an overcapacity stadium, as contributing factors.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Separately, the Indonesian minister of public works said that the Kanjuruhan stadium would be completely renovated after an audit of the site.

RELATED STORIES

How the Indonesia stadium disaster unfolded: minute by minute

Indonesia probes elite officers as stadium disaster death toll rises

TAGS: Fifa, football stampede

© Copyright 1997-2024 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.