NorthPort, Bolick reach temporary solution to impasse
It appears that Robert Bolick and NorthPort have reached a temporary settlement in their ongoing contract negotiations.
Sources told the Inquirer on Thursday that Bolick’s contract has been extended to until the end of the Philippine Basketball Association Governors’ Cup, allowing both parties more time to try and find common ground.
NorthPort made a standing offer to Bolick, whose one-year contract was supposed to expire last Jan. 31, until an agreement for a short extension was reached.
“He remains on the [NorthPort] roster,” said one source who refused to identify.
It’s welcome news for the Batang Pier, who are trying to sneak out of an early slump in the season-ending conference.
Batang Pier officials refrained from commenting on the development.
The Batang Pier lost their first four games, all minus Bolick—who is said to be dealing with a hamstring injury.
Bolick, one of the league’s top scorers, was still out when NorthPort faced Phoenix on Thursday in a battle of winless teams.
His absence has prompted new coach Bonnie Tan to rely on Roi Sumang and Paul Zamar to share backcourt responsibilities and the likes of Arvin Tolentino and Joshua Munzon to produce on offense to mixed results.
NorthPort’s fourth straight loss came at the hands of Phoenix, 108-97, on Thursday night.
Speculations have been brewing that Bolick is planning a move overseas and join a list of Filipino cagers who have succeeded—or struggled—in Japan, South Korea or Taiwan.
NorthPort and Bolick came to terms at this time last year when he inked a one-year deal to remain with the team that selected him third overall in the 2018 draft.