Alinsunurin stands by Retamar on lack of national team support
MANILA, Philippines — Former Philippine men’s volleyball team coach Dante Alinsunurin supports Joshua Retamar’s claim that they lacked support during their stint in the Hanoi Southeast Asian Games last year.
After winning his first game as Choco Mucho coach in the Premier Volleyball League All-Filipino Conference opener at Smart Araneta Coliseum, Alinsunurin was sought for comment regarding his setter’s allegations that they have stopped getting their allowances since November of last year and they were even the ones “spending on drinking water and parking fees every training session.”
The multi-titled coach only gave a brief comment as he already shared his side last week but he stands by Retamar.
“Sa akin, nakapagbigay na naman ako ng statement eh. Importante sa akin, ‘yung naibigay ko na sa inyo kung ano ‘yung naging sitwasyon ko. Kung ano man ‘yung sinabi ni Retamar, nasa sa kanya naman talaga ‘yung sitwasyon. Naramdaman niya, nakita niya,” said Alinsunurin. “Ako, kung ano man ‘yung nangyari, lahat ng sinabi niya, siyempre as a coach niya, suportado ko siya. ‘Yun lang naman ang masasabi ko.”
(For me, I already gave a statement. I already told you about our situation. And whatever Retamar said, it was what he felt and what he saw. With all the things that happened and what he said, as his coach, I support him. That’s all I can say.)
Alinsunurin was relieved from his post as national team coach with the Philippine National Volleyball Federation deciding to replace him with interim coach Odjie Mamon due to his multiple coaching gigs, including National University in the UAAP.
Alinsunurin, who steered the men’s team to a historic silver medal in 2019, said the team stopped training after last year’s biennial meet.
Retamar backed his coach’s comment, saying the reason they didn’t receive allowance was because the team was no longer training.
“We stopped receiving our allowances in November because they said we’re no longer training that’s why they stopped giving our allowances. But we wanted to train because we really want to bounce back in the SEA Games after our result in Vietnam,” Retamar told Inquirer. “We always ask coach Dante when are we going to train to have longer preparation but coach Dante kept saying that the PNVF has yet to say when and we just have to wait.”
The PNVF has yet to comment on the matter.
The starting national team setter said he was invited by his teammate Jau Umandal to join the training pool but he decided to skip the regional showcase to focus on NU’s campaign in the UAAP Season 85 men’s volleyball tournament.
Bryan Bagunas also begged off from playing in the Cambodia SEA Games in May due to his wedding in June.
Sources revealed to Inquirer the 19-man men’s national team pool last Monday.
The PNVF said in a statement on Tuesday that it will officially announce the official roster for the SEA Games soon.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.