Vincent Astrolabio eager to make most of first world title shot vs Jason Moloney
MANILA, Philippines—Vincent Astrolabio looks to become the latest Filipino world boxing champion when he meets Australia’s Jason Moloney for the vacant WBO bantamweight title on Sunday (Manila time) at Stockton Arena in Stockton, California, USA.
Astrolabio (18-3, 13KOs) has been on a tear with five of his last six wins ending inside the distance. The only opponent he failed to beat by stoppage was Guillermo Rigondeaux, whom he outpointed in February of last year.
“I am so determined to take home this belt to the Philippines,” Astrolabio said as posted on boxingscene.com. “I’m doing this for myself, for my family and for my country.”
Astrolabio earned his first world title shot after knocking out Russia’s Nikolai Potapov last December.
Moloney (25-2, 19KOs), on the other hand, is no stranger to fighting for world titles.
He challenged for the IBF bantamweight title twice but lost on both occasions—first against Emmanuel Rodriguez on points back in 2018 before getting knocked out by Naoya Inoue three years ago.
Both fighters are raring to go. Astrolabio tipped the scales at 117.2 pounds while Moloney came in slightly heavier at 117.8 pounds during Saturday’s official weigh-in.
“I am thankful to Sean Gibbons, and to (strength and conditioning coach Angel) ‘Memo’ Heredia,” noted Astrolabio. “I am one hundred percent prepared for this fight. I am so ready for this moment,” said Astrolabio.
The 26-year-old Astrolabio, a native of General Santos City, aims to join Marlon Tapales and Melvin Jerusalem as the only current Filipino world champions.