PNVF bid could pit national men’s team against world’s best

PNVF bid could pit national men’s team against world’s best

/ 05:10 AM March 01, 2024

PNVF president Ramon "Tats" Suzara.

PNVF president Ramon “Tats” Suzara. MARLO CUETO/INQUIRER.net

There is a chance the Philippine men’s team will get to play the best national squads in the world.

And the Philippine National Volleyball Federation (PNVF) is doing everything to make that happen.

The federation began the spade work to bring the 2025 FIVB World Men’s Championship, slated Sept. 12 to Sept. 28, to the country—a hosting gig that will allow the national men’s team to play against some of the best 31 teams in the world.

FEATURED STORIES

READ: PH formally bids to host 2025 FIVB World Men’s Championship

“As they say, teamwork makes the dream work and this meeting is a first major step towards the dream of a successful bid and eventual hosting of the men’s world championship,” said PNVF president Ramon “Tats” Suzara on Thursday, after a special briefing on the country’s hosting hopes at Grand Hyatt Manila at Bonifacio Global City in Taguig City.

Suzara, Sen. Pia Cayetano and Tourism Secretary Christina Garcia Frasco met the FIVB (International Volleyball Federation) officials Finn Taylor, the Volleyball World chief executive officer and chief business officer Guido Betti.

The FIVB officials praised the country’s hosting of the Volleyball Nations League (VNL) in 2022 and 2023.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: PNVF wants ‘stable’ PH women’s volleyball program

“The VNL last year at the MOA (Mall of Asia) Arena was the best event of the VNL and we had 14 stops around the world,” Finn said. “It shows that the Philippines has embraced the best of volleyball and we were able to see that not only the fans embraced the players but teams embraced the fans.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“They can’t wait to come back.”

Betti agreed with Finn’s observation, noting the PNVF’s success in hosting the VNL men’s and women’s at Smart Araneta Coliseum in 2022 and the men’s division last year at MOA Arena. The country will host another leg of the men’s VNL this year in July.

Both venues are being eyed for the World Men’s Championship next year.

‘Fandom was crazy’

“We see a massive potential in the Philippines. We decided to bring the VNL here two years ago and the fandom was crazy. We’re overwhelmed and with that being said, players will be happy to come back,” Betti said. “Love from the people here was unique that all the volleyball players are dreaming of [coming back].”

The meeting was also graced by Philippine Sports Commission Chair Richard Bachmann, Philippine Olympic Committee secretary general and lawyer Warton Chan who represented president Abraham “Bambol” Tolentino, Jennifer Reyes and Monica Mitra representing Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano, Erwin Lozano representing Sen. Sonny Angara and Sienna Olaso, vice president for Channels and Content at Cignal TV Inc.

Representatives from the MOA Arena, United Promotions Inc. of the Araneta Group Management, and the Tourism Promotions Board also attended the event.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

The Philippines, which hasn’t been to the men’s world championship since the 1974 edition in Mexico, will hear the conclusion of its bidding from the FIVB and Volleyball World in the final week of March.

TAGS: FIVB, PNVF

© Copyright 1997-2024 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.