Marquez tiff on horizon for Pacman
LAS VEGAS—A fifth edition of the Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez rivaly became a distinct possibility Saturday after Pacquiao’s victory over the erstwhile undefeated American Timothy Bradley.
Now, only a loss by Marquez to Alvarado on May 17 will derail the continuation of the epic rivalry.
Though Pacquiao is ahead with two wins and a tie against a loss in his private duel with Marquez, the Mexican had the last laugh when he knocked out the Filipino cold with one second to go in their fourth fight on Dec. 8, 2012.
“Manny will face the winner of Marquez-Alvarado,” Top Rank promoter Bob Arum announced during the postfight conference at the media center of MGM Grand.
And that bout could happen in November in Macau as Arum did not hide his displeasure with MGM officials, who allowed flyers for the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Marcos Maidana May 3 showdown displayed prominently during the Pacquiao-Bradley fight.
Arum, however, shot down a Pacquiao-Bradley 3, saying there’s no point as there was no controversy this time unlike in the first bout, which ended with the American winning by a controversial split decision.
As for Pacquiao battling Mayweather, Arum said it’s entirely up to the Mayweather camp.
“If they [Mayweather camp] want me to have a meeting, then I will be there,” said Arum, adding that it’s only the public who can compel Mayweather to face Pacquiao by boycotting Mayweather-Maidana.
Asked for comment, Pacquiao said his lines are open 24 hours for Mayweather.
“All they [Team Mayweather] need is to call.”
Pacquiao hinted that he is more inclined to face Marquez and avenge his shocking defeat last year.