Chavit Singson cautions fans on megafight
MANILA, Philippines–Former Ilocos Sur Gov. Luis “Chavit” Singson on Sunday cautioned Filipino boxing fans against believing American boxer Floyd Mayweather’s claim that he was ready to fight Manny Pacquiao in May next year.
“I’ll believe it when he signs a deal,” Singson said in a phone interview. “I think Mayweather will make personal demands for the fight to happen. What conditions he will ask, we still have to see.”
Singson said that “we’ve walked the same road with Mayweather before,” noting how the undefeated American would titillate fans about his eagerness to test his skills with Pacquiao only to back out with “silly” demands later.
The governor, a longtime adviser to Pacquiao, said the Filipino champion had already declared that he only wanted the fight to happen as demanded by boxing fans.
60% of revenue
“We have agreed to everything from the cut in purse to drug testing. It’s his call, not Pacquiao’s,” Singson said.
Singson said Pacquiao had no problem with Mayweather’s demand for as much as 60-percent share of the fight revenue and that the Sarangani congressman already had acceded to a demand that he undergo a drug test before the fight.
While oddsmakers are giving Mayweather the edge in the superfight, Singson said his ward had a “fighting chance” to hand Mayweather his first loss in the ring.
“There’s a reason why Mayweather has avoided fighting him (Pacquiao) all these years,” he said, without elaborating.