Salud to step down as PBA commissioner to give way to ‘fresh leadership’
Video by MARK GIONGCO/INQUIRER.net
MANILA, Philippines — Chito Salud on Sunday formally announced that he will step down as PBA commissioner after the end of the 2014-2015 season to give way to a “new and fresh leadership” in the league.
Salud addressed the media in a press conference at the Mall of Asia in between the double-header days after the news of his resignation broke.
“After five years as commissioner, I believe the time is right to pass the baton to a new and fresh leadership, a fresh face with afresh voice and fresh ideas that will take the league to greater heights,” Salud said.
The 52-year-old Salud that he he has given due notice to the team owners and PBA board of governors.
The PBA, Asia’s pioneering professional basketball league, is in its 40th season and Salud’s fifth year as commissioner. His father, the late Rudy, also served the league for five years from 1988.
During Salud’s reign, the league grew to 12 teams as the league welcomed five franchises: Meralco in 2010, Globalport in 2012, Blackwater, Kia Motors and NLEX this season.
One of his first moves as chair was bringing the league back to a three-conference format per season. The first being the all-Filipino, while the last two are import-spiced.
Bannered by PBA stars, the country also made it back to the world stage last year in the Fiba World Cup with the league working hand in glove with the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas under Salud’s watch.
Salud’s resignation will be effective under the season-ending PBA Governors’ Cup. The league has yet to announce his replacement.
“We remain focused on our task of running the league and constantly improving the quality of games we deliver to our fans,” Salud said. CFC
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.