Cagayan apologizes for Pua’s action | Inquirer Sports

Cagayan apologizes for Pua’s action

By: - Reporter / @jwpayoINQ
/ 03:18 AM May 18, 2015

CAGAYAN Valley has apologized for the punching incident involving its head coach and announced its decision to leave the development league of the PBA at the end of the ongoing D-League Foundation Cup.

The pro league had banned coach Alvin Pua for life and fined him P500,000 for assaulting referee Benjie Montero during the Rising Suns’ 106-94 win over Liver Marin last week.

ADVERTISEMENT

“There is no excuse for the incident last Thursday,” said Cagayan Valley team manager Frederic Collado in a statement Sunday.

“We are sorry it happened. Coach Alvin’s emotions got the best of him.”

FEATURED STORIES

PBA commissioner Chito Salud said the incident was “the last straw” as Pua had been fined and suspended several times in past seasons for assaulting other game officials.

Instead of replacing its coach, Cagayan opted to stand by Pua and decided to just drop out of the league after the Foundation Cup.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Alvin Pua, Basketball, Cagayan Rising Suns, pba-dleague, Sports
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.