PH boxers’ road to 2016 Olympics begins next month
The Philippine boxing team will be fighting in seven weight categories in the Asian Championship next month, the country’s first key stop on
the long road to the 2016 Rio Olympics.
Amateur boxing executive director Ed Picson said Tuesday there would be a box-off among the national pugs as soon as the Armed Forces of the Philippines releases the soldier-athetes from the military.
London Olympian Mark Anthony Barriga heads the list of eight boxers who are temporarily barred from training with the national team after
their mother units in the AFP recalled them last month.
Picson said the Association of Boxing Alliances of the Philippines has appealed before the Philippine Sports Commission to help fast-track the detailed service of boxers Rey Saludar, Wilfredo Lopez, Eumir Felix Marcial, Dennis Galvan, Junel Cantancio, Mario Fernandez and Nico Magliquian.
“I hope our appeal will be considered because the Asian Championship is barely one month away,’’ said Picson during the Philippine Sportswriters Association forum at Shakey’s Malate.
The top seven boxers for every weight class in the Asian Boxing Confederation Elite Men’s Championship in Bangkok on Aug. 25 will advance to the Aiba World Championships in Doha, Qatar in October where the medalists automatically earn tickets to Rio de Janeiro.
Out of the 10 weight categories in the Asian championship, Picson said the Philippines would figure in seven weight classes—49kg, 52kg, 56kg, 60kg, 64kg, 69kg and 75kg.