Pacquiao demands ‘closure’ from WBO on controversial ‘Battle of Brisbane’
Saying he does not want to see the boxing industry “dying,” Senator Manny Pacquiao has urged the World Boxing Organization (WBO) to act on the Games and Amusement Board’s (GAB) request to review the decision of his welterweight match with Australian Jeff Horn.
“WBO should take appropriate action on the letter sent by the Games and Amusement Board so as not to erode the people’s interest in boxing,” Pacquiao said in a statement on Wednesday.
“On my part, I had already accepted the decision but as a leader and, at the same time, fighter I have the moral obligation to uphold sportsmanship, truth and fairness in the eyes of the public,” he said.
“I love boxing and I don’t want to see it dying because of unfair decision and officiating,” Pacquiao added.
On July 3, GAB chairman Abraham Mitra and two GAB commissioners wrote to WBO President Francisco Varcarcel asking for a thorough review of the entire Pacquiao-Horn bout in Brisbane, Australia last July 2.
The GAB is the agency tasked to regulate and supervise professional sports in the country.
GAB representatives said they are echoing “the stand of many boxing followers on the possible errors of the referee and the judges.”
“While we respect the decision, we are constrained to request for a thorough review by the WBO for possible miscalls of the referee where some deductions were not made and of the judges in their judging that have caused varying opinions on their objectivity,” the GAB said in its letter.
GAB added: “We are making this request for a review, which many call for sanctions on the referee and the judges if so warranted, in furtherance of our mutual goal of protecting the integrity of the sport and even more improving the boxing industry that we all love.”
Last Sunday, Horn won the WBO welterweight belt from Pacquiao. The unanimous decision of the judges drew criticisms from boxing fans across the world. JPV