ONE ‘in discussions’ to make fight between Vitor Belfort, Roy Jones Jr. happen
— INQUIRER Sports (@INQUIRERSports) March 28, 2019
TOKYO, Japan—MMA icon Vitor Belfort mixing it up with boxing legend Roy Jones Jr. in ONE Championship has the potential to either work or turn out to be a flop.
But ONE chairman and CEO Chatri Sityodtong said he likes the possibility of the two squaring off.
In fact, Sityodtong said ONE is already talking to Jones, who was untouchable in the ring during his prime, about the fight with Belfort.
“We’re in discussions with Roy and I would love to do it,” Sityodtong said during the ONE: A New Era press conference on Thursday at the Ritz-Carlton here. “Roy is one of the best boxers of all time. He is lightning quick and has massive KO power.”
“It could be a legend vs legend match.”
ONE just signed Belfort, a former light heavyweight champion in the UFC, last month.
Both have legendary careers in their respective fields but are also well past their primes.
Belfort, 41, was knocked out by Lyoto Machida in his last fight at UFC 224 in May 2018 while Jones turned 50 two months ago.
A potential bout between the two came up after Belfort called out Jones in an interview with mmafighting.com.
Jones, who is a four-division world champion, had already accepted Belfort’s challenge but there had been no development since until Sityodtong bared the ongoing talks.