AVC season in danger of being scrapped
The Asian Volleyball Confederation (AVC) is close to dumping its heavy 2020 calendar because of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
With eight major tournaments lined up at the start of the year, the AVC passed a directive on May 21 that if the global crisis remains up until the end of June, it will have no choice but to cancel everything altogether.
AVC president Saleh Bin Nasser said in his communication that tournaments like the Asian men’s and women’s club championships and the Asian Cup for men and women will be among the casualties of the pandemic.
“[With] the current situation, we can’t predict when we can start our 2020 activities,” Nasser said.
The federation, should things improve, wants to finish everything before October, which is usually allotted for national volleyball club leagues.
Here at home, the Philippine Superliga (PSL) and Premier Volleyball League have stated that they won’t reopen until the government gives clearance to resume volleyball.
Even then, the PSL said it will have to adapt with the “new normal” by bringing in guidelines to better assure the safety of the players and officials.
“AVC needs two to two and a half months to coordinate with the host countries, competing teams and TV/media partners,” Nasser said.
The international federation for volleyball, FIVB, had earlier postponed its world congress to January next year in Phuket, Thailand.
AVC moved its general assembly from June to October but said that it will be finalized “as soon as the situation returns to normal.”
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.