One more hurdle for Abueva; Tubid racing against time for proper retirement
MANILA, Philippines–They have been made to suffer the consequences of their wrongs. Now Calvin Abueva and Ronald Tubid are scrambling for atonement.
Abueva, the Phoenix workhorse, will remain suspended if the 2020 PBA season beats a path to resumption, while San Miguel Beer veteran Tubid continues to float in free agency after being left off the squad in the wake of a practice incident that practically cost the Beermen a Grand Slam shot.
Abueva, a mercurial forward, has not played a single game for more than a year as he was handed an indefinite suspension following a dangerous foul on TNT import Terrence Jones that came just a few days after another incident, this time involving Ray Parks’ girlfriend, during the Commissioner’s Cup last year.
PBA commissioner Willie Marcial said Abueva has yet to complete his requirements that would convince the league to lift his suspension.
“It’s on hold, but I’m sure he’ll be able to comply with our requirements,” Marcial said in Filipino during the Philippine Sportswriters Association Forum on Tuesday. “The sooner, the better.”
Owing to the sensitivity of the matter, Marcial has remained tight-lipped on Abueva’s requirements.
However, two Inquirer sources revealed last year that what the PBA is awaiting is the result of “personality tests” that Abueva was asked to undergo. Marcial has taken note of Abueva’s good behavior and his civic involvement during the pandemic.
For Tubid, it is a race against time.
The 38-year-old forward became a free agent for the first time in a pro career that started in 2003 after he was left unsigned by the Beermen in the aftermath of the practice brawl that blew up San Miguel’s chances of competing for a Grand Slam in last season’s Governors’ Cup.
The Beermen had won the first two conferences last season and were favored in the Governors’ Cup after finding a prolific import in Dez Wells. But a practice scuffle involving Wells, Tubid, Arwind Santos and Kelly Nabong resulted in the import flying back to the United States.
“I respect their decision because I know I made a mistake,” Tubid said on Tuesday. “Instead of pacifying, I became involved in the fight. Boss Al [Chua] told me I should not have done it and I apologized because I got carried away.”
Tubid vowed that as soon as quarantine restrictions are lifted, he’ll personally apologize to the bosses at San Miguel, whom he said have been nothing but supportive in his career in the PBA.
“I just want to sincerely apologize for the incident,” said Tubid, who won two titles at Barangay Ginebra, before winning seven at San Miguel.
“I wanted to protect my teammate (Arwind Santos) who is also a close friend of mine. But a penalty is a penalty. I don’t want my career to end this way. It’s not too late so after this pandemic, I’m going to set an appointment with the bosses. I’ve been with the San Miguel group for a long time. Boss RSA (Ramon S. Ang), boss Robert [Non], I know they are good people.”
Tubid said the least he could do before finally retiring is to burn bridges with people who were instrumental in building his career.“I just want to retire properly.”