Pacquiao to fight McGregor ‘next year in Middle East’
MANILA, Philippines — Manny Pacquiao will face off with Conor McGregor next year and possibly in the Middle East, his special assistant Jayke Joson said Saturday.
Joson added the Filipino ring legend will donate a “huge portion of his earnings” from the fight to those affected by the coronavirus pandemic in the Philippines.
“For the sake of all the Filipino COVID-19 victims, Senator Manny Pacquiao will be fighting UFC superstar Conor McGregor next year. The huge portion of his earnings will proceed to those who are affected nationwide by the pandemic,” he said.
Rumors have been going on for a possible Pacquiao-McGregor fight since the former UFC superstar made his boxing debut and lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2017.
Talks grew louder earlier this year when Pacquiao signed with Paradigm Sports Management, which also represents McGregor, last February.
McGregor on Saturday also posted about an upcoming showdown with Pacquiao on his Twitter.
Anyway all water under the bridge who gives a fook.
I’m boxing Manny Pacquiao next in the Middle East.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) September 25, 2020
“Regarding the news coming from McGregor himself, we don’t deny it. In fact, our lawyers are finalizing all the confidential details, but both fighters are getting ready for this one epic last boxing fight. According to Paradigm Sports Management head Audie Attar, the fight may happen in the Middle East next year,” said Joson.
“It is confirmed the negotiation between the camp of Senator Pacquiao and McGregor is now starting to move on. Again as what our senator says, all his fights are dedicated for the welfare and unity of all Filipinos including this one.”
Sean Gibbons, president of Manny Pacquiao Promotions, also told AFP that a bout with McGregor is “one of the fights being considered” as the WBA (Super) welterweight champion plots his ring return.
The 41-year-old Pacquiao has been idle since his impressive win over Keith Thurman in July of last year.