Casimero chasing big money after another impressive win
MANILA, Philippines — John Riel Casimero made a good account of himself after a spectacular performance in his first title defense on Sunday (Manila time) in the US.
His three-round demolition of Ghana’s Duke Micah left him with plenty of options for his next bout whether it be to wait for Naoya Inoue again after their unification clash got postponed or move up to 122 pounds and challenge WBC champion Luis Nery.
But whoever he fights next, Casimero is not settling for loose change.
“Ayoko na lumaban ng maliit na kita. Kung maliit lang na kita, hindi na ako maglalaro,” said Casimero during Tuesday’s PSA Forum webcast.
(I don’t want to fight for just a small amount of money. If I’m going to be paid little, I’m not going to fight.)
The 30-year-old Casimero has proven his worth not only when he toyed with Micah but as a three-division champion in the sport.
Last year, Casimero stunned South African champion Zolani Tete in Birmingham, England, needing only three rounds to capture the WBO bantamweight belt.
“To me right now, Casimero is the most exciting, fun bantamweight out there. It’s no longer difficult. Showtime and PBC are so excited they want to know when they can get Casimero back on,” said MP Promotions president Sean Gibbons.
Gibbons added that Casimero’s stock rose dramatically after his masterclass against Micah.
There is a possibility that Casimero could be included in the undercard of Manny Pacquiao’s ring return.
But if Casimero would have his way, he would rather headline his own.
“Mas maganda kung tayo ang main event,” he said.
(It would be better if I’m in the main event.)
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.