Folayang to fight in ONE’s return to Singapore
MANILA, Philippines — Eduard Folayang’s comeback bid for a third world title shot begins this month as ONE Championship returns to Singapore for the first time since the coronavirus pandemic.
Folayang, the former two-time ONE lightweight world champion, hopes to get back on the winning track against Antonio Caruso of Australia on Oct. 30 in ONE: Reign of Dynasties at Singapore Indoor Stadium.
“I can say that on October 30th a few Filipino fighters from Team Lakay will be competing. I guess I’ll reveal one more fight on the card is Eduard Folayang versus Antonio Caruso from Australia. That will be also on the main card,” said ONE founder and CEO Chatri Sityodtong during a worldwide media conference Tuesday.
The 36-year-old Folayang (22-9) finds himself in a must-win against Caruso (7-1) if he is to put his name back into the title mix after dropping three of his last four bouts.
The Team Lakay legend is coming off a split decision loss to Pieter Buist last January in Manila.
Caruso, 29, also lost to Buist via unanimous decision in October of last year.
“The big news for us for ONE: Reign of Dynasties is, we have been holding back the location until this week and it’s going to be in Singapore,” Sityodtong said. “The big news for us is that we are working very closely with the Singapore Government.”
“This is a huge thing for us and we’re super excited and this card itself is also a very exciting one especially for Asia.”
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.