Oscar De La Hoya, 48, says he’ll return to ring July 3
Oscar De La Hoya said last year he was planning a comeback, and Friday he hinted at a date.
The 48-year-old De La Hoya said at a news conference for Triller Fight Club, where he was on stage with Snoop Dogg, that he’d be back in the ring again July 3.
De La Hoya is more than 12 years removed from his last fight against Manny Pacquiao, one in which he quit on his stool after the eighth round in December 2008. De La Hoya announced his retirement a few months later, but now insists he is ready for a return.
Ryan Kavanaugh, the CEO of Triller parent company Proxima Media, told ESPN that he and De La Hoya are “dear friends” and they are looking for a “big” UFC opponent for De La Hoya’s return.
“He has been and in his own words, he’s stronger and better than ever,” Kavanaugh said.
Sources said “The Golden Boy” has a multi-fight deal with Triller.
De La Hoya sported a 39-6 record with 30 knockouts in his career. He won gold at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona for the United States and captured world title belts in six different weight classes.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.